Saturday, February 26, 2011

Simple things

An incident I'd like to share, just in passing.
Yesterday I was standing next to a seat in the bus, where an old man (he looked ninety years old) in a ragged shawl was sitting. At a stop an old lady, also bent and hobbling and in a ragged sweater, came and stood next to me. The man looked up, and balancing himself on his stick to get up, said- "आइये अम्मा बेठ जाईये". She protested, and he said warmly- "इतना तो मैं कर ही सकता हूँ", and hobbled past. A girl of my age-group sat in front. Her attention was elsewhere as she talked on her phone. 
Unable to offer any help from my end, I tapped her shoulder, and as soon as she saw the elderly gent next to her, she smiled and got up. "बहुत मेहेरबानी", he said, as he accepted and settled down.
Quite energising, to see such pockets of the world, who have happiness growing from inside them.

No comments:

Post a Comment